Friday, December 14, 2012

I Like Big Bows and I Cannot Lie

Actually, I don't really love ginormous bows on little girls; I am a sucker for a simple, classic boutique bow. I've made a million of them for Anna Claire and Mallory because I refuse to pay boutique prices.
 
Recently, I decided the girls needed a fancy Christmas bow for their little dance performance next week, so I went online to my favorite ribbon vendor, Ribbon Retreat, because they sell cute themed ribbon mixes for next to nothing. I did buy Christmas ribbon, but I also saw this cute ballet mix, so I thought I might make a fancy bow for ballet class as a Christmas present for the girls. We have clothes rules for the girls in our house, and "no black" is one of them. Of course, we make an exception for dance class because they have to have a black leotard, so I thought the black in the ribbon would be OK.
Ribbon Retreat has tons of tutorials, but I also found one on YouTube that I really liked. Two hours later...
...I had two inside out bows...


...not loving the solid hot pink...
...three layers of ribbon to stack...
...and I finally had two ginormous hair bows for Anna Claire and Mallory that I'm not even sure I love. I think my bows are pouffier {yes, it's a word...in our house} than the one on YouTube and I did the pinwheel layer differently. Also, I am used to whipping out two complete boutique bows in under ten minutes, and this is a very different look for us. I think what actually took so long wasn't making the actual bows but watching all the YouTube videos.
I think I might take the bow apart and make the bottom layer smaller and see if I like it any better. And I'll probably try a different tutorial for the Christmas bow just to see if there's another "fancy bow" style out there that doesn't turn out quite so...busy. ;-)

No comments: