Sunday, July 26, 2009

Simplicity

Remember the good ol' days when life was simple, and people made their own clothes? Well,...
Aren't the girls' new dresses cute? I think so, too. I made them. No, really. I made them. All by myself. On a sewing machine. My mom didn't sew a single stitch for me, although she did open up a 24 hour hot-line to answer all my sewing questions.

One thing you may notice about the dresses is that they have a yoke. What you may no be able to see is that they also have zippers, facings, and bias tape. These are all things that should seriously impress you! There was nothing simple about making these dresses.

What you also probably can't see are all the mistakes I made. Hey, it was my first time (maybe my last??). It took me about a week to complete both dresses which are a little too big. I have ric-rac to sew along the hem, but I just really needed to be DONE, if you know what I mean.

I don't have any new sewing projects lined up but have been doing lots of research on patterns and fabrics. We'll have to see when the crafty mood hits me again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

They look really good for your first sewing project. Now you can start making all of their clothes.

Granny

Brandon said...

They look great to me! Brig has been thinking about getting a machine to do some stuff for Owen and the house. Did you buy a machine or just borrow one from your mom?

Tracy said...

They are adorable!!! Well done!

My mom made a lot of my clothes when I was growing up...she made the twins their baptismal gowns, and I'm keeping her on hand for Halloween costumes, too. :) Maybe one day, when we have abigger house, I'll pick it up too. Who knows.

Tracy said...

Oh, and my girlfriend makes purses. They are SOOOO cute (and from what she says, way easy.)