Thursday, April 15, 2010

Big Girl Beds

The girls' cribs {which I love, love, love and already miss so much} do not convert, and I didn't feel like we had time to order something and wait for delivery with Mallory so skillfully able to get out of anything we tried to corral her in, so after coming to the swift decision early Wednesday morning {after very long Tuesday night} that we needed to move the girls into toddler beds immediately, I went out yesterday to see what I could find.

Note: If you need a toddler bed {or two} in a hurry and live in the Charleston area, your choices are severely limited.

My advice: Order your bed{s} before you need it! If you're anything like me, you like to do your research and want to have plenty of time to make an informed decision, and you'll want to save yourself the frustration I went through yesterday.

I went everywhere I could possibly think to go {do not tell me if I missed somewhere we did not think of} and ended up getting the only beds I could find that were not Cars, Spider~man, Barbie, or plastic ~ two basic white wooden toddler beds from Babies 'R' Us. They're cute and match the girls "cottage" style furniture just fine, but they're not what I would have chosen if I'd had more time {heck, if I'd had more time, either the girls would be old enough for bunk beds, or we'd be living in a new house with bedrooms big enough for the two twin beds I would have already ordered from the same store I got the girls' furniture}.

We got the beds all set up and made up for the girls' when they got home from my parents' house, and the only thing I didn't have time to do was hem the bed skirts we had on their cribs. I bought them each a bed pillow, and we pulled down the quilts and throw pillows that go with their crib bedding in addition to two embroidered pillows they were given as newborns and lots of lovies! I'll have to take a proper picture of their new beds all made up later because they were all over those beds before I could even get my camera out.

Here they are having a blast wallowing all over their new beds...

And here's the great news...Anna Claire stayed in her bed and slept peacefully all night long!
And here's the not~so~great news...Mallory did not.

It took Mallory from 7:00 to around 8:30 pm to fall asleep which isn't too bad considering the past couple nights. Sadly though, she was up from her bed around 12:30 am and did not go back to sleep until 5 am...exhausting for us all {except for Anna Claire who slept through everything}. At least now that Mallory is in a bed where she is safe we can work to teach her to stay in her new bed and reteach her to sleep through the night once again. Lord, help us!

2 comments:

holly said...

the beds are adorable!! hooray for anna claire and a big "you can do it!" for mallory!! i hope she decides to stay in hers soon. i know how awful it is to not be getting any sleep.

ps—we didn't go all out with the toddler beds—just got simple white ones from (shhhhhh) wal-mart. we did get cute bedding, which cost roughly twice what the beds did!! anyway, i figure we'll want something fantastic when they move up to real beds that will last them through high school and that is when we will spend the big bucks.

Lisa said...

I was surprised how inexpensive the toddler beds are. We definitely did not go all out, and if I thought we could have waited to have one shipped, we probably wopuld have paind less even with shipping! & we're using their crib bedding (PBK quilt, bed skirt, sheet and throw pillow), so no out-of-pocket there. I totally agree about holding out for "real" beds and doing it up right!!