Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Great Flood of 2009

We had an awful thunderstorm late this afternoon and it rained buckets. When the girls and I pulled into Pine Forest, the streets were flooded. They've flooded before and I've been able to drive through, but that was in my old SUV; the mama-van sits much lower to the ground. Too afraid to drive through, I back tracked and tried a different way around - flooded, too.
Walter took this picture on the way to pick up my car about an hour after my dad got the girls and I safely home. The water had already receded considerably.
I called my dad since Walter was at a meeting on the other side of town. He met us on the side of the street to assess the situation. I hoped I would be able to drive through a different way, but my dad advised against it. By this time we were past the girls' dinnertime, and there was no way through; cars were stalling out all up and down the streets in every direction. So, the girls and I hopped in the front of Papa's truck, strapped the seat belt around ourselves, and plowed through. I know it may have not been the absolute safest things to do, but we were in the neighborhood, Papa could only drive 5 mph anyway, we only had a couple blocks to go, and the girls were hungry!
The girls didn't know what to think riding forward-facing in the front seat! In the end, we did arrive home safely. What an adventure!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness! I would have done the same thing as you...desperate times call for desperate measures.