Sunday, October 19, 2008

One Year Ago Today...

It is nearly impossible for me to believe that a year has passed since we found out we were pregnant. One year ago today around 11:35 AM we got the call from our nurse Andrea that we had been waiting for so long.

I will never forget that phone call. We had gone down for my blood work that morning (no HPT's; I wanted to do this by the book!) and she told us she would call around 11:30 after the patients were gone for the day (it was a Friday and they only see patients for a half day). Knowing that helped me not be so nervous waiting for her call. Walter and I had both taken the day off from work so we could get the call together at home knowing that if it was good news, we would want to celebrate and if it were bad news, well... I'm glad we didn't have to think about that. I had the phone in my hand at 11:30 and, sure enough, about five minutes later the phone rang. It is a blessing I did not have to wait any longer. I am still so thankful she called when she said she would.

After making sure she had me on the phone, I can remember her words exactly: "Are you ready for some good news?" Complete relief was what I felt at that moment. I was happy, excited, overwhelmed, but what I remember most was thinking, "Thank the Lord!!" I do not know what we would have done if the news had not been good. Walter and I had yet to come to an agreement on Plan B. I remember everything else about the phone call, too - her actually saying, "You're pregnant," and telling me that she had also just given good news to another patient. She asked me if Walter was there with me or if I needed to call him. We set up the appointment for my ultrasound. Every little detail is still crystal clear. I even remember while I was crying on the phone with Andrea, Walter standing in front of me not knowing if I had gotten good news or bad news - poor guy!

I'm not sure I can ever explain the mixture of feelings that overtook me - relief, happiness, thankfulness, love - but there were certainly lots of tears! And one year later I am looking at my baby girls feeling so many of those same emotions and so thankful to have my beautiful, healthy, happy daughters.

No comments: