Saturday, May 16, 2009

Beach Babies

Anna Claire and Mallory went to the beach for the first time today, and I am so happy to say our trip was a success. We went to Edisto with Aunt Michelle, Uncle Brian, Connor, and Dylan.

We drove over during their morning nap time so they could sleep in the car, which they did. By the time we got there it was time for a quick snack then on to fun in the sun. I put both girls on the blanket first, but Mallory could not get to the sand fast enough! She loved playing with all the buckets and shovels. Anna Claire, though, was happy to "sun bathe" on the blanket. She would let me scoot her to the edge so she could splash in the bucket of water and wriggle her toes in the sand, but the moment I would try to sit her in the sand she would start fussing! Both girls were a little cautious of the water. It was high tide and the waves were really loud, which is all I can attribute it to - that and the fact that it was their first time seeing the ocean. Mallory did eventually stand up and let the waves roll in over her feet, but she would not sit down in the water. Anna Claire wanted nothing at all to do with the water. Even with me holding her, she would start screaming as the waves rolled in. As they rolled out, she would stop. They'd roll back in and she'd scream,.... Needless to say she spent most of her time on the blanket and was happy as a "clam" to do so!
We stayed for lunch - the girls had gritty yogurt, sandy mandarin oranges, and crunchy apple sauce. After about an hour and a half, (which is much longer than I thought they would make it) the girls had had enough. We packed up all our things, made it to the car, got rinsed off and changed into dry clothes, and headed back home. The girls were fast asleep before we got off the island and slept all the way back to Summerville!

A day at the beach will never be what it used to. No more relaxing in the sun, listening to music, getting a tan. Those days are over, replaced by something much more fun... ;-)

I did know that when we left the beach the girls would be covered from head to toe in sand, but I did not know they would become covered from head to toe in sand a mere five minutes after we arrived.

I did know the girls would probably get some sand in their mouths. I didn't know they would ingest most of the eastern seaboard.

I did know I would slather the girls in gobs of sunscreen. I didn't know I would hardly be able to get it all off after we got home, in the bathtub, after lathering them up twice each.

I learned a lot today about taking almost-one-year-old-twins to the beach, and I can't wait for our next trip!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

How fun!!! It makes me so excited to take our twosome to the beach later this summer! Glad to learn from your experience. :)