Monday, May 18, 2009

Book Worm

Mallory loves books - she always has. She likes pulling each and every one off the bookshelf, tossing them around, crawling over them, turning the pages of her board books. And she loves being read to. I can actually read a whole book to her from cover to cover and she doesn't lose interest like Anna Claire often does.

Until recently, she hasn't really minded what is read to her; she has had no preferences. That changed this weekend. I have read the same three books to her all weekend long. She would bring me one of these three books over and over again, and any other book I offered her, she'd toss aside. One of the books is called Bless Me. It's a sweet story, but not my favorite. The pictures aren't great, and there isn't much to point at and talk about. The text is redundant (which I get is the point of many children's books), but this story isn't very imaginative. The other two books are much more enjoyable in my opinion. One of them is a "touch and feel" animal book and the other is a counting book. We have a lot of fun reading these two books - even after the 238,965,651 time.

Th funniest thing began to happen anytime I was reading the counting book to Mallory this weekend (Which was about twenty times. I am not kidding). Whenever I'd get to page 7 (seven balls: beach ball, tennis ball, basketball...) wherever Anna Claire was in the room, reading with us, playing off by herself, she would start saying ball? ball. ball!!! Remember, ball is Anna Claire's first and only (as far as we know) word. I am not kidding - she would do it every time we got to that page!

Both girls are so sweet. I love that Mallory loves books and wants to sit in my lap and let me read to her. I also love that Anna Claire loves to shout her new word, ball, loud and clear. However, after this weekend, I think it's time for Mallory to find some new favorite books, and I think it's time for Anna Claire to learn some new words!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

What a cute story...I can't wait until R&E prefer to read books as opposed to just chewing on them. :)