Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Getting to Know Yule!

Getting to know all about yule...

It doesn't feel much like Christmas; today's high was 75. It was fun, though, answering the following questions:

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? both, but probably more bags this year because they're easier

2. Real tree or Artificial? artificial for the first time this year, again - easier, we're horrible about watering a real tree, and I don't like all the pine needles all over the floor

3. When do you put up the tree? usually the weekend after Thanksgiving

4. When do you take the tree down? a few days after Christmas because all the needles have usually fallen off by then, this year we'll probably keep it up longer

5. Do you like eggnog? yummy!

6. Favorite gift received as a child? my first cabbage patch doll

7. Hardest person to buy for? my dad

8. Easiest person(s) to buy for? Walter

9. Do you have a nativity scene? I love my willow tree nativity scene, I have all the pieces, but now I want the new one with the larger figurines - beautiful!

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? mail, although last year I didn't send any because I was suffering from a horrible case of morning, noon and night sickness - just got this year's in the mail yesterday and started addressing them tonight

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? can't think of one thing

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? do you remember the animated movie about the mouse family that lives in the clock tower in the middle of town and the dad works in the post office? I haven't seen it on in several years and I can't remember the name of it, but I loved it as a kid, and A Christmas Story

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? too late

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? nope, but I have returned many to the store

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? anything sweet

16. Lights on the tree - white - I think they show off the ornaments better

17. Favorite Christmas song? Baby, It's Cold Outside is my favorite right now - the James Taylor/Natalie Cole version (not exactly about Christmas, but it's on my James Taylor Christmas CD) and Joy to the World, of course, the girls love Santa Clause is Coming to Town - I sing it about 100 times a day

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? we travel around town, luckily all our family lives here

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? dasher, dancer, prancer, vixen, comet, cupid, donner, blitzen, and the most famous reindeer of all - rudolph - I also sing this numerous times a day

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? star until this year, now Santa

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? both - we have a huge family

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? traffic at the mall

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? every ornament on our tree has a story behind it and I love that - can't wait to share those stories with the girls

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? too hard to decide

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? now that I have my two little girls, I'll never ask Santa for anything again

Okay, consider the snowball thrown your way! Either copy and modify the above adding your answers in the comments, or do your own post and let me know via a comment so I (and others) can go learn more about "Yule" and your holiday celebrations!

2 comments:

Brandon said...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Both...some things aren't so easy to wrap in paper.

2. Real tree or Artificial? We got an artificial tree our first Christmas in the house. I absolutely hate stringing lights so now I don't have to.

3. When do you put up the tree? The weekend after Thanksgiving, but this year it didn't get decorated until a week later.

4. When do you take the tree down? Normally on New Years or the day after that.

5. Do you like eggnog? Oh yes.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Hmmm...that's hard.

7. Hardest person to buy for? My mom

8. Easiest person(s) to buy for? My dad

9. Do you have a nativity scene? No, but we have a snow village. Although we don't have anywhere to put it this year.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Again, that's hard to remember.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I'm gonna go with Frosty.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Should I have already started?

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Of course not.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My mom's pound cake. I remember eating a slice for bfast on Christmas morning.

16. Lights on the tree - White, non-flashing.

17. Favorite Christmas song? You should hear the LeAnn Womack/Harry Connick Jr. version. I have her Christmas CD from a few years back. But my absolute fave would have to be any Christmas song by Dolly Parton.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay around the ville.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Well...since I just read their names I can. Not sure if I could have before that.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? We used to have a star, but now we have this funky Dr. Seuss-ish thing shooting out the top.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Both. Plus, I used to start bugging Brig three days before to let me open a present.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? That you have to work. I would rather have the entire month off to enjoy the season and spend time with my family and friends.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? Wow...that's hard to say. I really like the St. Lucia ornament we got on our honeymoon. It was cheap, but it's about the memories. It's also very fragile, so it's not on the tree this year for obvious reasons.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? The dessert.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I agree with you. I got my Christmas present last March.

Tracy said...

Oh, I love "Baby it's cold outside." Good one.